Matches played

Go down

Matches played

Post  Adel on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:36 pm

I figure it's nice to have a thread where we can keep a record of matches played, if we won or lost, what we did and whether it worked. Hopefully we can attach demos, vids, screenshots etc to the basic summaries, and this is a good place also to post if the enemy did something clever we could copy (or at least be ready to counter next time).

[b]Wins: 12

Losses: 5

Draws: 2[/b]

snuke vs eXs - 15/09 - WON

snuke vs NiCeY - 21/09 - WON

snuke vs fcuk - 23/09 - WON

snuke vs eXs - 30/09 - WON

snuke vs UTZ - 4/11 - WON

snuke vs HA - 11/11 - LOST

snuke vs IrS - 13/11 - WON

snuke vs [MG] - 17/11 - LOST

snuke vs |UTZ - 25/11 - LOST

snuke vs [oC] - 18/12 - WON

snuke vs wtfc - 30/12 - WON (friendly scrim)

snuke vs Trooper - 30/12 - WON

snuke vs [-SCC-] - 13/01 - WON

snuke vs NiCeY - 15/01 - WON

snuke vs 40 degrees - 18/01 - LOST round 1 WON round 2

snuke vs IrS - 20/01 - DRAW

snuke vs Bande2oufs - 21/01 - WON round 1 WON round 2

snuke vs Impact - 28/01 - LOST round 1 LOST round 2

snuke vs NiCeY - 29/01 - LOST

Last edited by Adel on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:02 pm; edited 14 times in total

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Matches played

Post  Adel on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:38 pm

snuke vs eXs

15/09

8v8 nocrits, our server, friendly

Won (scores?)

2x solider, 1x heavy, 1x demo, 1x scout, 2x medic, 1x engy / sniper?

Easy match - they were pretty disorganised. Motiv and I alternated babysitting Grem and one of us always had an uber ready for him, which worked fine for defence.

Last edited by Adel on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 pm

snuke vs NiCeY

21/09

6v6 nocrits, dustbowl, friendly

WON 12-3 (cap points) or 2-0 (rounds)

Soldier, scout, demo, heavy, sniper/spy, medic

Easy match. Defence was no problem - matching our ubers to theirs. Their medic sucked, and got harassed into wasting ubers (thisname as scout) or died before getting/using them (jagbama as sniper and spy) or used them too late (poop stickying his heavy so he ubered thin air, grem killing his heavy so he ubered a sniper). Attacking was a bit more dodgy since after the first uber rush we kinda charged in without a huge amount of co-ordination, meaning we rarely attacked with the entire team at once, but we still won easily enough (they had no successful defences). Their only successful push past the first cap came when I hid with 10hp in a corner from their ubered heavy (who didn't see me!), then healed hez, got spotted and was killed leaving us no defence for second cap. Note to self: run away and survive!

Last edited by Grem` on Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Screenshot)

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:37 pm

snuke vs fcuk

23/09

6v6 nocrits, gravelpit

WON 2-0

Soldier, Heavy, Scout, Demo, Medic, Engy/Scout

Easy win. We capped all points, they couldn't get B.

Demo from thisname's PoV (scout): sendspace.com yaziyz

Demo from Motiv's PoV (medic): www.anypcpart.com/fcuk.zip

Grem's summary:

Grem` wrote:We went into the game a bit nervous, as we feared the team to be a bit experienced. After some delay at the start due to fcuk not being able to field 6 and getting people outside their roster to fill the numbers, the battle of gravelpit began. We attacked first with the team compo of 2xScouts, Solly, Heavy, Medic and Demo. We took A immediately with little resistance from fcuk. After a little stalling from them, B was capped relatively quickly and we charged C. fcuk used a pyro defense for some reason, but our demo and solly made quick work of them and we capped C. The total time being 2 mins 48 seconds. Defense was pretty straightforward with us fielding an engi for the start. They capped A after some stalling by rob and Poop and then moved onto B, where they fell apart. They were too wide spread to do anything, and our scouts made quick work of their medic leaving the team to be picked apart by our demo and soldier.
Round 2 was much the same, we attacked, they fell. We capped it this time in 3 mins total. Defense wise, they seemed to be a bit more organised, but the skill from our attacking players were too much for them to handle and we took B without too much hassle. All in all a good game, and the morale should be high going into our first ladder game against the mighty [eXs]. Congrats everyone.

Last edited by Adel on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:02 am; edited 5 times in total

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:00 pm

snuke vs eXs

30/09

6v6 nocrits, our server, league match, on Steel

WON
(2-0)

Soldier, heavy and medic defending A, scout, solly and demo defending B-->E route
Soldier, demo, medic and spy attacking A, 2x scout attacking E

Demo recording from Killingyouguy's PoV (heavy/demo): http://www.anypcpart.com/eXs%20Steel.zip

We strategised in advance of this match, coming up with a split-team plan that could deal with them rushing E or A. I think it worked, although someone who was defending B-->E route tell me how that went since all I did is camp A. Defending A was a bit dodgy 'cos there's nowhere safe to stand from the spam and I ended up forced to use a couple of ubers to survive. They looked like taking it at one point, but a timely respawn by killingyouguy, who then went on to get 5 kills in a row and clear the point, saved the day. Otherwise, we held it without too much trouble, and the soldiers jumping over the top left (+ scout when he was around) managed to harass their medic a fair bit. Offence swapped a spy for a soldier and a demo for the heavy. Send 2 scouts to E, solly, medic, demo and spy to A. Rolled over A without too much trouble and....won the match. And that was that. Steel fails as a competitive map when the other team's so bad they can't take a single point!

Jagbama's screenie:

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jagbama on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:49 pm

snuke vs UTZ (Urban Terrorists)

4/11

6v6, nocrits, ED league, their server, on Goldrush

WON (1-0)

Solly, Soldier/Scout, Sniper/Spy/Pyro, Heavy, Demo, Medic, on both offence and defence

They had Heavy, Medic, sometimes 2 demos, sometimes 2 pyros, usually one solly kicking around, and an engy on defence. Don't think they used scouts at all, but they did give spy and sniper a brief try.

Close-ish match, they capped 5 points before we held them at a choke point. Despite various tech fails we managed to get our act together and frustrate them on defense.

On offense, we had a minute of fighting at the spawn gates, then managed to roll on out and win it with over 3 minutes to spare at the end. Never got to see teh BOOM :-/

They had a nice heavy-medic, decent demos and surprisingly effective pyros rather than soldiers. But lack of good soldiers ended up being a /fail for them I think. Afaik spying and sniping went well for us (at least I heard a lot about the enemy medic dying - once with an uber ready?) but Killing and I kinda failed on our own heavy-medic co-ordination a lot of the time (he ran off and suicided a bit on defence, I failed to find him or was too slow with the ubers and let him die a lot. Wasn't ideal, and wasn't helped when Vent died either! :S )

But we basically won due to holding them /forever/ at a choke point on the corner of stage 3, after getting rolled over pretty quick in the first two stages. Dunno why they couldn't get past it, but lucky for us they didn't!

Finally, having no engy on defence on goldrush worked fine, and their defensive engy was pretty pointless (don't think his sentry really did anything at all before it died, and they swapped him out soon after)

Recorded on Source TV so links to follow I guess

Very Happy
jagbama
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:58 pm

.snuke vs [HA] (Herb's Army)

11/11

6v6, nocrits, ED league, our server, on cp_Well

LOST (0-5)

Solly, Scout, Sniper/Spy/demo, Heavy, Demo, Medic

They had 2x demo, 2x solly, sniper, medic

Got pretty much rolled, right from the start. They stuck together as a group and absolutely filled every doorway and so on with rockets and nades, meaning we were always forced to uber first. Then their medic did double-ubers on both sollies, and just raped us. Plus their demos were amazing. Jag had a couple of nice backstabs but also not a few fails, Hez said he couldn't aim, and Killing as heavy was (no offence) almost wasted space until it got down to defending the last point when a heavy could just sit there. Note: next time on well take more sollies + demos. I only had one uber which I actually think was a good one the whole damn match, the rest were either to get through doorways or panic-i'm-gonna-die ones. Wasn't fun :/

Still, they were a good team and at least we did sort of push them a bit at some times, though never succeeding in holding the middle point.

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:53 am

.snuke vs [IrS]

13/11

6v6, nocrits, ED league, our server, on cp_Granary

WON (4-1)

2x Soldier, Scout, Demo, Spy/Demo, Medic

Started off well capturing the middle without too many losses right at the beginning but then used our uber at a bad time and had to push back, they counter-ubered and basically cut us down (since we were trying to battleblob Razz) and then took the middle, after that it was sort of all on the back foot and despite a good attempt to hold them, they got the first point.

After that we got our acts together and after capturing the middle again got ourselves properly organised and then pushed back, and carried on with that strategy for the remaining 4 rounds. During round 3 motivs PC died and we were without a medic right at the start (as in, we had all just respawned after fighting hard to win the second round making it 1-1) but somehow we still held out and captured the middle from IrS, holding it whilst Grem changed from scout to medic and Jag changed to demo. Then with the momentum we had after the beginning we carried on through all the way to their final point to win that round as well!

Top game really, and our first on Granary I think so all in all worked out well, thanks to everyone who played!

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hezitate on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:09 pm

snuke vs -[MG]-

17/11

6v6, nocrits, ED league, our server, on pl_badwater

LOST (0 - 1)

Rewatched the demo and tbh only 2 or so of us got caught with the spawn camping but it was more running in a few at a time that caught us out, and they were going with 2 demo and 2 soldiers sticking together which as you see if you watch the demo was quite painful. I think we were doing quite well but didn't use the map properly to our advantage, which as Adel pointed out was problem my fault as I didn't expect a large requirement of tactics but infact the map was so big that tactics were required to win this one, and their tactics beat ours hands down... Whilst I think we were better players we didn't stick together enough again (me definitely included) and it cost us the 30 seconds Razz

Here is the demo but I warn you, as soon as I start recording (after killing loaddddddsssss) it all went wrong ! rapidshare.com mgmatch.dem.html

End of the day, we did well and was just a bit unlucky with the map working against us a little but that serves us right for not planning it out!

cp_ maps from now on Very Happy

hezitate
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:06 pm

snuke vs -[oC (or something...their clan name and tag is weird, i can't write it)]-

18/12

6v6, nocrits, ED league, our server, on cp_granary

WON (8-0)

Granary on our server. They had a trial member playing. We went with 2x solly (hez, r7an), 1x demo (Jag), 2x scout (grem, toasty) and me as medic. On the middle we had one solly jumping high, one on the ground with the medic, and the demo up on the balcony, which worked nicely. We stomped them until they swapped a solly for a heavy and a scout for a sniper (who got a nice headshot on me at the start of a round), when things got a bit tougher (not helped by Hez lagging) and we were even pushed back to our second point once. But after some nice ubers on their heavy were dealth with, we stomped them again. We generally did a good job of staying as a group together and pushing up as a team, keeping our firepower together, and it worked well. From the sounds of things on vent, grem got quite a lot of kills on their medic and also kept the sniper down most of the time (I'm sure toasty did stuff too but you're really quiet on vent...whereas grem goes "MEDIC DOWN!" when he gets a kill so I tend to rememver it Very Happy ). R7an and Hez did a really good job of keeping the scouts off've me, and apart from getting myself owned by the heavy a couple of times staying alive was easy, which is nice Very Happy And thanks to Jag for finding time to for Rob. Nice game, if easy. I think a rematch vs [MG] is in order next...

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:11 pm

snuke vs wtfc

30/12

6v6, nocrits, friendly scrim, our server, on badlands

WON (8-0)

We played like shite, but stomped them anyways. Heavy was OK on the mid, but a bit slow after that - two sollies worked better in the second match (below)

We owe them a friendly rematch on a server of their choice some time

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:26 pm

snuke vs Trooper

30/12

6v6, nocrits, ED league, our server, on badlands

WON (3-2)

We had 2x solly (hez, r7an), 1x demo (poop), 2x scout (grem and toasty), and me as medic.

They had two sollies, two scouts, and a demo and medic, apart from briefly using a pyro on defence.

Very, very close game. I think we all had a pretty good match - everyone seemed to be playing really well - but they were very good so it was really tough. They started with a kritz, and while it was very scary it didn't really work for them. After we got two convincing wins to start with, they then pushed much harder with a real uber and we only took the third win on a counter-attack having been pushed right back to our last point. We then suffered two losses - each time taking the middle, but not being able to hold it and slowly getting pushed back. For the final round, we took the middle and just camped it (apart from scouts pushing to harass) until the time ran out and we won the game 3-2.

Their scouts did a really excellent job of ninja-ing me as medic - I was killed on the middle point, with two soldiers and a demo protecting me, three times by scouts leaping from nowhere and getting me before they were taken out. In addition, I had to blow several ubers in similar circumstances to save myself from them. Partly my poor dodging to blame I guess, but what also worked well for them was having a demo spamming stickies from very long range onto the middle. It wasn't enough to come anywhere near killing me, but splash damage meant I was never on full health and made the scouts' job easier when they came in to ninja. Not really sure what we could do about it except spam more in response, but as Hez said if the sollies spam they risk being stood there reloading when the scouts come in. Blobbing with two sollies generally worked well, but even with both of them keeping the scouts off was tough - as I say, not sure what we could do differently in another game, but ideas appreciated!

On the plus side, going around to the stairs at the end of the middle cap point rather than getting trapped in the little building mostly worked well I think, so we'll do that again on badlands. Though again scouts were a problem - we have to watch the doorway on the left more, since scouts snuck out and caused some trouble at the start there a couple of times.

So that was probably our best, and closest game so far - but a really nice win in the end. Plus extra points 'cos badlands is ED map of the week - shame the ladder's getting reset soon! Rolling Eyes

Final scores:

Demo from Hez's (solly) PoV:

rapidshare.com troopergame.dem.html

edit: hmmm I saw on the demo Grem actually had to leave and rejoin the game halfway through! I knew in the match you were having problems, but I hadn't realised we were a player down for a while. And Toasty was using in-game comms...did I not notice you DC-ing from vent, or were you just using both?

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grem` on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:02 pm

snuke vs [-SCC-]

13/01

6v6, nocrits, ED league, our server, on fastlane

WON (9-1)

Lineup consisted of 1x Heavy (Trane), two scouts (Grem and Toasty - who also sniped a bit when they fielded two heavies!), 1xDemo (Rho) and Adel as medic.
Easy enough game. Scout duo worked again, with toasty raping their team before the restart and me doing the rest after the restart Razz They kept changing their lineup quite frequently and after the first round scare of their spy backstabbing 3 of our players, we capitalized. Rho was kept away from scouts, Adel was protected from their scouts, Rob took care of their solly quite effectively and our gentle giant Trane dished out his minigun of justice to anyone and everyone.
We worked much better as a team apart from the lack of comms the time when they back capped one of the points whilst we pushed forward. That explains the their 1 point Sad Other than that kudos to everyone for being on time and giving out some patented HILDAWG loving.

Adel's edit: I don't know what the hell they were playing at, but they didn't seem to have a clue as a team...the spy worked well as a shock to start with, but then they went for two heavies which was never going to work. The lack of good class balance (specifically, the lack of scouts) really hurt them. Plus their soldiers couldn't aim for shit - I took one on solo with a needlegun and won (though I think Rho got the kill in the end when he ran away). Their demo did a decent-enough job at times though. But apart from one fuckup where they ninja'd the second-last and last points out from under us while we were still at mid, we walked all over them. Easy match, overall.

Some snafus from us - we need to be faster to retreat as a team once things start to go wrong. A couple of times we took a lot of deaths in a row after one player went down, when it would have been much better to pull back and play defensive for a bit. Also need to work on communication a bit when scouts get behind us, especially when playing with a heavy since the slow speed means that once we decide to push up and attack, falling back to defend the previous point again is difficult. And when we know a scout is behind us, we do need to watch our backs! I got taken out with an uber by a scout we knew was there (several ppl called it) - my fuckup for not right-clicking of course, but since we knew he was there stickies on the doorways or a bit of rocket spam could have helped. Oh, and I think I need more practise babysitting heavies...kinda pissed off I let Trane get killed a couple of times when I really shouldn't have (e.g. healing the other wounded when I can see him running up to take enemy heavy/medic on....obv. full health buff needed at that point). And Rho needs to learn to sticky-jump Cool

For the record, we played to 3-1 when several members of their team suddenly froze and stopped shooting. After waiting a bit to see what would happen, we started attacking again when their medic shot at one of us, and made it 4-1. Four of them then disconnected, came back, blamed X-Fire, and agreed to restart the map but accept the scores as 4-1 and play from there (e.g. with us needing 4 more round wins to take the match). In the end we played to five more round wins, so our final score was sort of 9-1 but should probably go on ED as 8-1.

Hez, we need you to show Grem (and me, if you give me admin rights?) a bit more about how to set up the server and stuff, since it was rather a disaster until Grem managed to get things figured out and reset it. Also, for some reason again sv_pure 1 wasn't on and the other team did make a point of asking for it - I guess this might get us into trouble if we don't sort it (esp. with a password like hax Very Happy )

Screenshots before and after restart:

edit: note the effect of having a heavy on the team though! Medic has to babysit 24/7 which makes the remaining soldier less effective. This is probably the first time theysaid's ever been bottom of a score sheet geek
Grem`

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhosauce on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:08 pm

Adel wrote:And Rho needs to learn to sticky-jump Cool

Shove it up your tight posh ass, you James May wannabe hobag!

EDIT: Also, not jumping up every single time (because I did a few times Mad ) made it easier to kill the soldier who was always trying to get they said. I'm thinking if next time, a solly wants to jump on the roof on fastlane, blowing up stickies from the ground around the enemy solly (if there is one) while he's distracted is a good way to get rid of potentially strong links in the enemy's team.

Rhosauce
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  They said on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:14 pm

I concur.

They said

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Trane on Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:33 am

GG, a few minor blips but I think we played well overall, we fell back and regrouped/waited for ubers 90%+ of the time when we needed to. So there really isn't far to go to making snuke a formidable outfit IMO.

Trane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  hezitate on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:57 am

Well done everyone, I feel very proud!

And as a side note, I'll make a post about server commands Razz

As for the sv_pure thing I've no clue wtf is going on with that, it seems to be that after you restart the server you have to manually type it in? I'm going to download some silly gun skin/model for spy or something else so I can test it when we play in future to make sure pure is working.

I'll get that sorted tonight

hezitate
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grem` on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:25 pm

snuke vs. NiCeY

15/01

WON

6v6, nocrits, ED league, our server, granary

wp Xian on your first snuke official Very Happy

Adel's edit: fairly easy match. We went with 2x solly and struggled a bit to deal with their heavy at times, but otherwise all was good. They did run a sniper for a while, who seemed to do a great job of shooting Grem but didn't bother the rest of us much. I'm guessing that's 'cos our scouts kept him pressured or dead.

My apologies for the truly awful medicing. I think that's the worst I've played medic in a long time, on doomy's or in a clan match. So very many unnecessary deaths to the heavy when I really could have kept the soldiers alive - sorry! (though on the plus side, I got my first ubersaw kill in a clan match Very Happy )

Grem`

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:58 pm

snuke vs 40 degrees

19/01

LOST round 1 WON round 2
0-5iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii3-2

They kicked our arse on badlands. We were too slow to the middle on the first few rounds - the strat of going to the train failed - and just never really managed to push them. We had a couple of good comeback moments, and slightly more successful later rounds, but never managed to clinch a win. Good scouts were annoying enough, but their sollies and demo really had the trick of spamming past/over our attackers to whittle my health away down nicely, which made it very hard for us to push. Plus though Trane stepped up as a last minute replacement playing demo, it's not his best class, and demo really matters on badlands.

On granary things went a little better, with Trane as heavy, toasty as demo and rob as scout. Going on the right hand side still failed, though, since they were always up on the crates before us and covering the doorway with spam - we were dead before we could get out. Going left in later rounds worked much better. Their kritz kinda owned us since it was always ready before our real uber at the start - more calling it out when we think it's ready, and a faster retreat (maybe leaving the heavy to tank those rockets while we run) might have been good. The medic says "I am charged" pretty loud, and as soon as we hear that ppl need to call it on vent and then run like hell, when it's a kritz. In the end we took granary 3-2 as the time ran out, but one of those 3 we won when their medic dropped for a minute, which was rather lucky for us!

Overall, we didn't play bad as such (Trane's not being happy as demo and my many too-late ubers notwithstanding), but they were a good team. Hopefully the next match will be easier...

Demos from Theysaid's PoV (solly then scout) here:

rapidshare.com 40Granary.rar (As scout)

rapidshare.com 40Badlands.rar (As soldier)

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grem` on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:44 pm

snuke vs [IrS]

20/1

DRAW 2-2

Match summary: we played like we were on pub server, and only the fact that IrS are really not very good meant we got a draw out of it

Grem`

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  r7an on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:22 pm

My thoughts on this from my point of view. This was my first time playing well in a proper match and I found it pretty difficult, not an avid player of well in the first place probably made it harder, but anyway. I'm always used to playing with another Solly, so defending Adel from Scouts is that little bit easier. With a heavy I essentially had to watch our backs and frankly their scouts and demo were too good for me at times, and as the scout can fire off at least one or two hits before I can kill them it led to Adel dying quite a bit. Plus their demo was a bit on the awesome side. I always had their solly mostly in my pocket but he wasn't that great anyway.

Hopefully we can improve on this for tomorrow as if we play like that again, we'll get stomped Crying or Very sad
r7an

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:48 pm

snuke vs Bande2oufs

21/01

WON round 1 ........... WON round 2
5-2 on cp_badlands ........... 4-2 on cp_well

ETF2L match, with two rounds on their server - badlands followed by well. We had 2x solly (hez, r7an), demo (poop), 2x scout (grem, toasty), and toasty occasionally sniping.

We had a shaky start on badlands, when their scouts didn't bother contesting middle, but instead snuck underneath, around the back and owned me from behind. After I raged at our scouts for not saying anything about where the enemy scouts might be when they get to the middle and find it empty, grem made a point of calling it in subsequent rounds and althouth they tried the tactic again, it didn't work. It took us a while to get into the swing of things, and we did have a nasty moment vs the kritz, but we pushed them OK and our scouts managed some nice ninja-caps on the last point.

One thing to say - pushing from middle to 2nd point, we always went down past the train carriage and around the corner, every time. This actually puts us miles away from the enemy who are camping down by their base gates, and so when we have to blow the uber there (e.g. due to demo-spam), I think it was hard for our sollies to make good use of it and kill stuff. For other matches on badlands, we should try switching up which way we go when assaulting 2nd point - e.g. across the walkway past their forward resupply area, or just through the house and out of the side door.

Well was pretty good - we started with a kritz, and with feedback from the scouts about which side the enemy team was on hez went over the train and killed 3 straight away with crits (medic, heavy, demo, and then he hunted the solly down afterwards). We also had sensible (if conservative) tactics about holding back for an uber before pushing onwards from mid. We did try the kritz tactic again, but miscommunication between scouts callign which side the enemy was on and sollies going to it meant it got a bit wasted. It's a nice move to use though, so we should maybe practise this a bit. The downsides to the well match were when we got pushed to our 2nd point, and were trying to defend it, their demo repeatedly snuck past us all into the attic and owned us from above. Scouts need to watch for that tactic in future. After the other team screwed up the server config on well (the match stopped when we were 2-1 up) they restarted the config and we played three more rounds, losing the first, winning the second and ending the third with anothter win when the time ran out to make it 4-2 overall.

Blobbing both sollies went generally well, notwithstanding the occasional moment when they decided to run in opposite directions when I was trying to uber them both Razz But that's just a practise thing really, the more we play together the better that will get. And finally, on both maps the sollies did an excellent job of keeping their scouts under control, with r7an in particular watching my back and didn't seem to miss many shots on them when they got close. I think Hez has a point when he shouts at me to stick closer to the sollies when scouts come for me...I have to master the impulse to run, dodge and hide/look for the nearest health pack, so I will try and do that better in future matches! (also, will try not to fall off've bridges and platforms and so on quite so often Rolling Eyes )

Demo from my (Medic) PoV on Well here: rapidshare.com b2o.dem.html (it has some embarassingly noob moments Embarassed )
STV Demos at: http://etf2l.org/matches/10108/

If anyone has screenies or demos, post 'em in the discussion thread and I'll attach them here.

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:53 pm

snuke vs Impact

28/01

LOST round 1 ........... LOST round 2
2-3 on cp_badlands ........... 2-3 on cp_granary

ETF2L match, with two rounds on their server - badlands followed by granary. We had 2x solly (hez, theysaid), demo (Rho), 2x scout (grem, toasty).

Not much to say - we didn't play badly, but we couldn't quite beat them in either round. At least we made it a very close game.

On badlands their sniper caused us some problems, and they out-spammed us at mid and second point.

On granary they really out-spammed us at the mid (their demo had my position down exactly and threw an endless stream of nades at it), while according to Grem we didn't really do the same to them.

On both maps, their soldiers worked very closely together and it was that which really kicked our arses. I've not played a match yet (apart from maybe HA) where the enemy soldiers have been the ones really owning me. Normally it's scouts or demos. But they had a nice tactic where one soldier would do a shallow-arc rocket jump over our sollies' heads, right into my face and unload his rockets there. If the first failed, the second would follow up doing the same thing and it never failed to take me down when they managed to pull it off properly. Scary.

After-match discussion says that basically Hez and Rob need to work out who's in charge (since they often ran different ways and if I followed one, the other would get himself owned...esp. to Hez since Rob seems to be luckier at surviving somehow), and that I need to keep talking and letting both soldiers know where I am and when to retreat. So hopefully we can make that work better next match.

Demos from my PoV:

rapidshare.com impact.dem.html (badlands)

rapidshare.com impact_2.dem.html (granary)

Demo's from Grem's scout PoV:

mediafire.com ?ivgezmezotj Badlands

mediafire.com ?m1ndmwkdyzt Granary

edit: after watching the demo - Rho, on the start of granary you do *need* to sticky-jump the whole way to the middle. Getting a demo there fast so the spam can start early and the scouts are supported really does matter. You can jump across even small rooms by going a little past the sticky before you blow it, so you jump in a flat arc and don't just hit the ceiling or door. JUMP! I will heal you to start with, and once you get out of my range there are plenty of medpacks along the way too. If you watch some demos of top demomen playing, if there's a medic around to keep them buffed up they don't walk *anywhere* 'cos sticky-jumping just works so well and makes them even faster than scouts.

Then, rather than running into the open you need to find a high spot or a safe corner and spam, spam spam at wherever the source of their heal-beam seems to be hiding. Ask the scouts where, if necessary. Watching my demo, we just got painfully out-spammed at mid. Take a look at it to see just how devastating good nade-spam on the enemy medic (me, in that case) can be.

And secondly, our tactic of having one solly stay on the ground at the mid on granary totally failed. Theirs just jumped up above us and rained death from the sky. In future, both sollies need to go up and only drop down if they get low on health - if they keep an eye on the ground and I call out enemy scouts early, they should still be able to drop down in time to defend me.

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grem` on Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:11 pm

snuke vs NiCeY

29/01

LOST 3-2[/size]

Was a friendly more than anything tonight so don't beat yourself down too much. The setup was 2x sollies (jag and Xian), 2x scouts (Toasty and me), rho as demo and r7an as medic, as we weren't playing our ideal classes to say the least. We still put up a good fight though and would've won the game or gotten to a draw if the server wasn't paused for like 10 mins. Oh well, I'm not gonna dispute it as ED ladder is just a mess around anyway. One thing we got sorted was the heal order that we practiced at the start of granary. The push and hold tactic worked when we tried it, so that was a bonus as well.

If anyone has a more in depth review post away at Match discussion, and I'll transfer it here.

Grem`

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down