Scout Tactics Review

Go down

Scout Tactics Review

Post  Grem` on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:06 am

This is mainly for the scouts that I play with which includes Toasty, theysaid and Xian. I'm posting this so that we all know what to expect from each other on the maps, and we're not all running around like headless chickens. The others can read through it as well. It would give you information on where we would be during certain scenarios, so you could effectively co-ordinate pushes and fall backs. This is a work in progress, so any comments and insights are more than welcome.

General Information

1. Raptor Tactic
This is self-explanatory. We always move together. That is only way we can play to our max, and capitalise when situation present themselves. Move together, attack together, fall back together. If one of us dies, try to fall back to a neutral ground and wait for spawn. It's better to retreat from a battle, than to to be two down and leave the team open to flank attacks from their scouts. That said and if one of the scout goes down, and you - the only survivng scout - sees an opportunity to take out their medic, go for it. But again, this should be done only if you think you'll come out of the battle alive. Kill the medic, fall back and wait for the second scout to spawn.

2. Comms
Well this is obvious, but vital to be effective. Call out positions even if you think it's not relevant. Position of medic and his protecting players is top priority. This should be relayed immediately. If both our scouts are alive, and the medic is only being protected by a soldier, we have a high chance to take out the medic and maybe even the soldier down using the distraction tactic we practiced on fastlane (more on that later). This could change the tide of the match rapidly, with them losing their medic and one of their heavy classes as well.
Other than that, position of their scouts should be on our radar constantly. Like we found out from the Trooper game, scouts running unchecked can devastate our medic and consequently our team. So quick calls on their scouts are vital. Following this any other important observations like solo medic, position of stickies, ubers, their pushes and pull backs etc should relayed back to the team.

Map Specific

1. Badlands
This map is a scouts paradise, with matches being lost and won depending on the effectiveness of scouts. It also means their scouts have to be kept in check for the team to do any progress. This can be done by sticking together. Solo scout (unless you're rob), can get raped quite easily by two.

[more to come]

Last edited by Grem` on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Grem`
Grem`

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scout Tactics Review

[reserved]
Grem`
Grem`

View user profile

Back to top Go down

[reserved]

[steals! nah, kidding]
Grem`
Grem`

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xian on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 pm

the listed scouts (me included, and not laze off to pyro) need to play on pubs together to work out thier attacks and fall backs, the more praccy we can get in the more better we become as a team, im slowly going back to be a scout player again, only other class im playing with is solly, its a good class to practice putting that crossair on bodies :p

also : i give grem Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven as this is the reason why i wanted to create this forum sub section afro
Xian
Xian
Pyromainiac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Adel on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:45 pm

Another tactic to suggest: there are times when it pays to play defensive. I know you scouts can do awesome stuff, run in and ninja the enemy's soft classes, etc etc. But there are times - e.g. when we're building an uber, rather than pushing - when I think you need to go into defensive mode: watch the medic's back and keep the enemy scouts away. Like, it's cool if you can kill the enemy medic, but if you run off and do that while half our team just got raped by marauding scouts and demomen, then it didn't actually help us.

What I mean is, rather than automatically always having our scouts pushing ahead, part of the time we should be blobbing more as a team and playing it safe. At the end of the day, if we build up an uber, push in together and use it well to kill the enemy, then that's just as effective as having our scouts go in (sometimes suicidally) and maybe getting some kills and maybe not.

Adel
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grem` on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:12 pm

Adel wrote:Another tactic to suggest: there are times when it pays to play defensive. I know you scouts can do awesome stuff, run in and ninja the enemy's soft classes, etc etc. But there are times - e.g. when we're building an uber, rather than pushing - when I think you need to go into defensive mode: watch the medic's back and keep the enemy scouts away. Like, it's cool if you can kill the enemy medic, but if you run off and do that while half our team just got raped by marauding scouts and demomen, then it didn't actually help us.

What I mean is, rather than automatically always having our scouts pushing ahead, part of the time we should be blobbing more as a team and playing it safe. At the end of the day, if we build up an uber, push in together and use it well to kill the enemy, then that's just as effective as having our scouts go in (sometimes suicidally) and maybe getting some kills and maybe not.

Very good point Adel, and it's something that I am quite guilty of it. The main reason why i play scout is cos I like being in the forefront of action, in midst of chaos and confusion, but sometimes I forget that I'm a soft class myself and can get taken down quite easily. Playing defensively is something that I need to work on. During the match if someone calls out for the scouts to stay with the team, that would be helpful, because most of the time the scouts are away from the main group so don't really know what's going on with the med and sollies. Call and we shall come!
As for pub play, yea that's a good idea as well. Toasty and me do it sometimes, but don't make a habit of it. Next time when we're pubbing we should pop into vent and play together. Would recommend it for the sollies too.
Grem`
Grem`

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xian on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:15 pm

scouts advantage over every class is its agility, in blobbing, they need open spaces to move around the central blob (medic). when u blob make sure the scouts have good room to move about in, maps like granary central point, all of dustbowl/pl maps and can even go as far as cp_well.

basicly if you want a sucessful blob with scouts as well, avoid the indoor's type caps
Xian
Xian
Pyromainiac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down